Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Homesick

I have a confession to make. I really, really, REALLY miss Omaha, Nebraska. One would think that the Chicago area would provide enough distractions that I would forget about Omaha and move on with my life, but not living there has created a hole in my soul that I've never figured out how to patch up.

I've been picking at the scab recently by joining this flickr group. Pictures by waitingline and BoomerangThang specifically have been particularly wonderful and heartwrenching. While you're there, check out BoomerangThang's super cool retro house and photos from a zombie walk in Benson. I'll be at my desk, daydreaming about Homer's Records and Tapes and the Bemis Center for the Arts. Oh, and LaCasa's pizza. YUM.

6 comments:

Katie Kutthroat said...

awww.. i know how you feel though.. i miss new orleans a lot. i was only there for two years but it was the only place that i felt like i fit in, i didn't stand out.. that i could just blend. so in ways it will always be home for me. you should light a vanilla candle, they say the scent helps with homesick feelings. :)

Rachel said...

aw i'm sorry bridget..have you lived in chicago for very long?

why don't you plan a visit sometime to omaha, & if you still have family there, that's an even better reason to visit! i've lived pretty much in the same area my whole life. but i do miss disneyworld :)

beefranck said...

*vanilla candle burns* :)

I've been here for almost 13 years now, 13 years in January. We used to visit Omaha twice a year, now we go once a year. My parents and one of my brothers still lives there, along with a neice and a nephew. We're going for Christmas this year and I'm really looking forward to it. :D

Jim and I LOVE Disneyworld. We went there for our honeymoon and have been back three times since. I swear I'm a grown-up. Really. :)

Rachel said...

awww well good! maybe the visit will tide you over for a little bit :)

me & will went to disneyworld for our honeymoon too! how else to celebrate the happiest day of your life than to go to the happiest place on earth? i love love love disneyworld so much!

Kelley said...

* Surefire way to cure homesickness *

Take a bird whistle and stick it down your overalls :-)

PS: That story is STILL making me giggle !

beefranck said...

Kelley:

I was really hoping I had dreamed that I told that story. *^_^*

Thanks for checking out the podcast! I love your blog - your home is BEAUTIFUL. :)